If abusive people told you they were being abusive and were honest about naming what kind of abuse they were using on you, think of the time and energy you’d save over a lifetime NOT wondering “what the heck is happening”?
Can you match the words below with incidents you’ve experienced or observed?
- Isolation: to put or keep (someone or something) in a place or situation that is separate from others.
- Economic abuse, deprivation
- Emotional abuse, shaming, degradation
- Degrade: To lower in dignity; dishonor
- Shame: To cause pain and distress by humiliating, embarrassing, cutting someone down to size.
- Coercion, threats, intimidation
- Coercion: to make (someone) do something by using force or threats
- Intimidation: to frighten or threaten someone, usually in order to persuade the person to do something he or she does not wish to do
- Surveillance, micromanagement
- Micromanage: to try to control or manage all the small parts of (something, such as an activity) in a way that is usually not wanted or that causes problems
- Stalking: the act or an instance of stalking, or harassing another in an aggressive, often threatening manner
- Minimizing, denying, blaming, gaslighting
- Involving children
- Invalidation: to weaken or destroy the effect of something or someone.
- Survival conditioning, negotiation
- Loss of autonomy
- Autonomy: Freedom to determine one’s own actions, behavior, etc, like an adult.
MORE: Who is an Abuser?
READ THESE GUIDELINES BEFORE COMMENTING
• Anonymous comments ONLY. If you like, identify yourself with your country (USA, China, Nigeria, for example) to help others understand the context of your remarks.
• Do not include personal details that could identify you.
• Moderator reserves the right to edit or delete any comments.